Practice Areas: Civil Rights - Correction Office Misconduct

The Law Offices of Rothman, Schneider, Soloway & Stern, LLP specialize in police brutality, false arrest, unjust convictions and all civil rights violations. Our exclusive focus on civil rights gives us an in-depth understanding of the law. Our attorneys have extensive experience in state and federal jurisdictions. Our clients have been awarded millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts. Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys lawyer.


Call the Law Offices of Rothman, Schneider, Soloway & Stern, LLP at 212-571-5500 


Q. What is Correction Office Misconduct?

The Preamble of the American Correctional Association Code of Ethics states that members of the association should have “unfailing honesty, respect for the dignity and individuality of human beings and a commitment to professionalism and compassionate service (”

Unfortunately, not everyone employed by the Department of Corrections follows this code of ethics. If you or a loved one feels that you have a victim of Correction Office Misconduct, please contact us at RSSSlaw at 212-571-5500 to discuss the nature of your circumstances.

False Arrest

Q. What does false arrest mean?

A false arrest and/or false imprisonment occurs when your liberty or freedom of movement is unlawfully restrained. Although you typically bring claims of false arrest or imprisonment against a police officer, you can also bring a claim against a private citizen (and his or her employer) who restrains you against your will.

Q. When do I have a legal claim for false arrest?

You may have a claim of false arrest if you were arrested without "probable cause."

Q. What is probable cause?

This term comes from the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution.

The United States Supreme Court ruled in Illinois v. Gates (1983) defined probable cause as having "substantial chance" or "fair probability" of criminal activity could establish probable cause. A better-than-even chance is not required., although a mere suspicion of criminal activity is not enough.

However, a police officer may restrain you for a brief period of time if he or she suspects that you have committed a criminal act. Terry v. Ohio (1968).

Q. Can I sue for false arrest if the search warrant contained untrue statements?

A. Not necessarily. If a police officer had a warrant that appeared valid and was obtained in good faith, the officer may have had probable cause to arrest you.

Q. Can I sue if the charges were dismissed or if I was found not guilty?

Not necessarily. A claim or lawsuit for false arrest depends on whether the arrest or detention was based upon probable cause, not on the guilt or innocence of the person who was arrested or detained.

Q. Can I sue for false arrest if I was found guilty of the crime?

Probably not. If you were convicted of the crime for which you were arrested, the conviction may be used as conclusive proof that the police had probable cause to arrest you. However, you may be able sue if the police had an illegal intent for arresting you or if the police used excessive force when they arrested you.

Q. How can a lawyer help me defend myself against a false arrest?

If you believe you’ve been detained or arrested without a basis (or if you believe the police are acting outside their proper authority), you need to speak to a local criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. You should never make any statements or file a complaint with police or investigators until you’ve had a chance to speak to an attorney.

If you believe your rights have been violated, or you need someone to represent you against criminal charges, a local attorney who has experience representing clients in local courtrooms is the only person you should talk to for legal advice.

Police Brutality

Q. What is police brutality?

Police brutality is one of several forms of police misconduct which involves undue violence by police members. Widespread police brutality exists in many countries and territories, even those that prosecute it. Although illegal, it can be performed under the color of law.

Q. What do I do if I was a victim of police brutality?

Q. What is considered excessive force by a police officer?

The term 'excessive force' is not precisely defined; however, the use of force greater than that which a reasonable and prudent law enforcement officer would use under the circumstances is generally considered to be excessive. ... Police brutality is a violation of the law.

Q. Can I sue a police officer?

Federal and state laws protect citizens from abuse and other violations by government officials, such as police officers. Victims of abuse by police can sue the officers individually as well as the local governments that employ them. ... If the police acted negligently, however, that is not enough to overcome immunity.

Q. How do I report police misconduct?

You must approach them in a calm and organized manner.

  • Step 1: Write everything down. This step is extremely important and must be done as soon as possible after the incident. ...
  • Step 2: Consult with an attorney. This step is essential if you were arrested following the incident. ...

Step 3: File a Police Misconduct Report.

Q. What is considered harassment by a police officer?

Police harassment is an abuse of an officer's authority by continually or arbitrarily stopping someone, aggressively questioning him or her, or by conducting an unwarranted or illegal search and seizure.

Police harassment can take a variety of forms and include diverse victims. Some common examples of police harassment include:

  • Illegal spying or placing certain people under surveillance
  • Racial or ethnic profiling
  • Use of excessive force
  • Making racist, sexist or homophobic comments
  • Illegal detention

Illegal search and seizure

Q. What can a lawyer do in police brutality cases?

Most police officers are committed and ethical. They work a difficult, life-threatening job, and their days are extraordinarily stressful. However, police officers also exercise a great deal of control over the lives of the people they interact with, and an abuse of this power is particularly egregious. The personal injury lawyers at RSSS Law have experience helping the innocent victims of police brutality pursue justice and compensation.

The physical, emotional, financial and legal consequences of police brutality can be staggering. We place a lot of trust in the police, and a betrayal of that trust should not go unacknowledged or un-pursued. And our police brutality lawyers will not allow that.

At The Cochran Firm, we’ll be there for you. Our police brutality lawyers will listen to your story and advise you on how best to proceed with your claim.

If you’ve been the victim of police brutality, a personal injury lawyer can help. Please call RSSS Law today at 1-212-571-5500 for a free consultation.

Examples of Police Brutality

Most of us are familiar with the sad, sordid recordings that catch what we usually think of as “police brutality:” physical violence perpetrated by a police officer on a restrained or otherwise helpless suspect. And these cases are horrible.

However, our police brutality lawyers understand that police misconduct has many different forms, including:

• Unnecessary physical violence

• Unnecessary and degrading strip searches

• Sexual assault

• Coercion, blackmail or other uses of police power to force you into doing something you don’t want to do

• Racial profiling

Civil Rights

What are civil rights?

Correction Office Misconduct FAQ

100 Lafayette Street. Suite 501

New York, NY 10013

Phone: 212-571-5500

Fax: 212-571-5500